Saturday, October 27, 2007

E-Books Coming of Age?

Bernie Sloan on web4lib 10/26/07 points to this article by Chicago Tribune "Internet critic" Steve Johnson, and notes the "suprisingly positive" experience had by this otherwise e-book-skeptical English major.

Sloan shares this telling excerpt:

"I just read 'Pride and Prejudice' on my BlackBerry. And, reader, I liked it. Against all my own prejudices, all my own pride in the history and tradition of the printed word, I liked it...The experience taught me that a book is not what I had thought it to be. It is not, in any important sense, typeface, paper stock or cover art. A book is, foremost, the arrangement of words in sequence, and they are, to borrow a buzz-phrase from the digital folk, platform agnostic."

No comments:

Post a Comment